Deep Water Horizon

Beginning in August of 2010, I embarked on a quest to save the wildlife working as a biologist for the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service on a wildlife recovery vessel in the Gulf of Mexico.  As crew leader of the S.W.A.T boat (shallow water attention terminal- a boat specially designed to navigate in the shallow, muddy waters of salt marshes, and donated by a contribution from entertainer Jimmy Buffet), I led the recovery effort in the Grand Bay areas of Mississippi and Alabama in an attempt to recover oiled and injured birds in the wake of the BP Deep Water Horizon Oil Spill.  My month long deployment was nothing short of an adventure, having never spent time in that part of the country.  I got to experience the humid, muggy Mississippi summer, the sweltering bayous and marshes of the Gulf, and the myriad of birds and wildlife that make that ecosystem so unique.  My heat tolerance and bird identifiation skills were tested, but all in all, it was a fantastic experience!

Here are some pictures from my time there...






 Here are some links to more pictures:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2607613&id=6204190&l=295ca39492